Friday 21 October 2016

Local Newspaper Photographer

A poem from 1986

what did you do
to warrant a place in the news
you raised a cheque for ninety p
and sent it to a charity
and the local newspaper photographer
wants a picture so all can see
the smiling face with gormless grin
the flashy pose
and “look how wonderful I am” badge you wear
upon your swelled up chest

you won a competition
so you’re showing off your prize
with a sickly-innocent smile on your face
while pride lives in your eyes
and the local newspaper photographer
wants a picture so all can see
and give you something to show off about
while sharing evening coffee

this is a song for cynics
but one thing that I must say
as I notice our MP and mayor
appear
5 or 6 times a week
to seek
a friendly air with the electorate
I don’t believe that everyone
wants their picture shown for pride
but when the local newspaper photographer comes
I’m sure it’s hard to hide

2 comments: