Friday 11 November 2016

A Kiss In The Park

A poem from 1986


Watch me perform it on YouTube...
walking in the park
ducks waiting
kicking against the water
flying out to greet me
and then running away as I held out my hand

the trees had shed their leaves
in sorrow
at a warring world
branches pointing with accusing fingers
quick to pass the blame

wait! There’s a fountain
where we can sit and listen
to the sound of running water
there’s a little boy on top of it
urgh! Cover your eyes
that statue’s got no clothes on!

I took you by the hand
and held it tight
and led you through yellow flowers
a heavenly bouquet
sent by God to warm human hearts
but sadness is so close
a silent stone cross
stands still to the memory
of those who died for King and Country
their martyrdom completed in capital letters
for the sake of their descendants
the tears ran down your cheek
so I kissed your tears away

we stood under the arch
and as the rain spat down
we sat down
my arms around your shoulders
protecting you

2 comments: